Job title: Weekend Coordinator
Saturdays 6:15pm-9:00pm, Sundays 4:15pm-9:00pm.
Additional weekday evening shifts may also be available.
Location: Sanctuary accommodation in Gravesend, Windmill Street
Pay: £11.00 per hour
Start date: 20th February 2023
Reporting to: General Manager
We will be interviewing suitable applicants on application. We welcome applications from people with lived experience.
About Gravesham Sanctuary Gravesham
Sanctuary was established in 2015 as a response to people in Gravesham sleeping on the streets or people facing homelessness. During that time we have developed from a service providing community, shelter and a hot meal to one that partners effectively with many agencies in supporting people to find routes out of homelessness and turn their lives around. Gravesham Sanctuary is transitioning from a traditional static Winter Night Shelter to the provision of single room emergency accommodation in our own premises. This will operate alongside our town centre daytime drop-in premises.
Our Christian ethos
All staff will be recruited on the basis of job requirements and the candidates’ ability to fulfil the necessary skill, experience and qualification criteria. However, as a Christian organisation, our work is motivated by and dependent on the faith of our staff. In order to uphold and work out our Christian ethos, this role has a genuine occupational requirement that the person appointed has an understanding of and personal commitment to the Christian faith.
Proof of the right to work within the UK.
We are required by law to request proof that you have the right to work within the UK.
GDPR and personal data
Where you provide personal data and sensitive personal data when applying for a job, such as the information on your application, we will process, store and disclose this personal data to support the recruitment process in accordance with our GDPR policy. Application details will be stored for a maximum period of 1 year for audit purposes before being deleted, unless the individual becomes an employee.
This role is subject to an Enhanced DBS check.
Objective of role and how it fits in with the work of the organisation
To ensure the smooth and safe running of our accommodation by following the Gravesham Sanctuary policies and procedures. To provide a supportive, reassuring presence to guests.
Outline of tasks and activities to be undertaken:
- Conduct all activities as laid down in the Coordinator manual and updated from time to time by the Project Manager.
- Protect the safety and security of the premises Provide a supportive, reassuring presence to guests Where reasonable, respond to the needs and concerns of guests
- Keep and pass on accurate reports of any activities/concerns that you feel need to be addressed by the Assistant Manager or Guest Manager
- Liaise with the General Manager/ Guest Manager on any guest issues to be aware of
- Allocate tasks to volunteers and lead the session team, starting each session with prayer
- Check that guests who enter the premises are scheduled to be there and keep records of guests and volunteers who are on the premises
- Support and pray with guests as required
- Deal with any incidents that may arise during the session
- Complete a session report and Incident Forms as required
- Ensure the health, safety and security of all guests and team members
- Make sure the premises are kept clean and tidy with resources well- organised.
- Hand back the building to incoming staff, along with paperwork
Knowledge and experience
- Worked previously at Sanctuary as a General Volunteer or other relevant experience in a homeless setting
- Previous experience of managing a small team
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work with vulnerable/ challenging people
- Ability to be firm but fair Ability to maintain professional boundaries
- Ability to comply with confidentiality, data consent and data protection
- Good communication skills, verbal and written
- Good interpersonal skills, with an empathetic approach to people in difficult situations
- Ability to work closely with others and within a team
- Willing to provide a spiritual lead to their team by praying with them and modelling God’s love in action.
- Willing to undergo an Enhanced DBS check
- Willingness and ability to learn
- Commitment to the vision and aims of Gravesham Sanctuary
- A professional attitude to their work and punctual and reliable
- Able to stay calm and make decisions in challenging situations
Person specification desirable experience, knowledge, skills and personal qualities
- Able to support people with complex needs
- A confident approach to dealing with challenging behaviour